Sterilization Myths and Benefits
Here are a few myths:
- If sterilized, my pet is going to get fatter. False! Your pet is going to get fatter if it does not have enough exercise or is overfed.
- If sterilized, my pet is going to stop growing. False! Only a poor nutrition generates slow or no growth.
- If my pet never reproduces, it will get depressed. False! There is no connection of spaying/neutering with depression.
- If my pet never reproduces, it will get cancer. False! Studies have shown that the opposite is true.
- The surgery is very dangerous. False! The surgery is very simple and routine. It is only risky if the pet is not healthy.
Here are a few benefits:
- Sterilizing prevents cancer, tumors, venereal and other infectious diseases.
- Sterilizing reduces a pet’s interest in roaming.
- Sterilizing reduces the contribution of unwanted dogs and cats.
- Sterilized pets live on average 3 years more than pets without sterilization.
- Sterilizing prevents females from going into heat and attracting males.
- Sterilizing reduces aggressiveness and the fights between males.