CAWES (Coast Animal Welfare & Education Society) was founded in November 2000. We are a group of volunteers who believe that all creatures should be treated humanely and with respect.
Our mission is to care for abandoned domestic animals, and to assist injured or distressed domestic and wild animals on Bowen Island. Also, to promote, inform and educate our community about healthy human guardianship and stewardship of all animals.
There is no SPCA or wildlife rescue group on our island. CAWES manages to fulfill a much needed animal advocacy service to our community by…
- Controlling the overpopulation of felines through sterilization.
- Minimizing any impact on wildlife by feeding stray and abandoned cats.
- Offering ongoing support, consolation, and advice to animal lovers and pet owners; and educating them in the care and welfare of their pets.
- Providing financial and moral support to pet owners in need who have sick companion animals.
- Reuniting lost companion animals with their families.
- Finding forever homes for companion animals that have been abandoned or given up for adoption.
- Reducing the number of stray animals through our foster and adoption activities.
- Helping to sustain our natural environment by participating in and supporting wildlife rescue activities.
“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the ways its animals are treated” ~ Gandhi